Start their career in the resources industry today!
What’s in it for the students?
- The Resources Industry provides a variety of great workplace opportunities for professionals, technical and trades
- Often students are unaware of the variety of positions available and the pre-qualifications they need to get in (the day is specifically designed for Year 10 students and timed to assist with Year 11 subject choices)
- “Get into Resources” showcases the Resources Industry and is delivered by experienced personnel who currently work in the industry
- Hands-on content to give the students a feel for the jobs available, including a visit to “The Cut” underground training mine at NMTafe
- A full day of activities with plenty of time to talk to members of industry
- Morning tea and lunch included
- Fully sponsored – no charge to your students or school
Get Into Resources has been a wonderful success with hundreds of students participating over the two days. Teachers love the variety of the presentations, the amount of information available about different sectors and the opportunity choices that were discussed, and consider the day “very worthwhile”.
“absolutely the best careers event I have taken students to”
How can my students participate?
- This opportunity is limited to schools willing and able to bring up to two groups of 10 students on a ‘first come, first served’ basis
- Please register your school’s interest ASAP with Jo Watkins (ESWA) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- For queries email Jo at the address above or call 6436 8685
Teachers also said about the event…
“less qualifications required than I thought and better opportunities”
“I’m now more aware of many different jobs in the sector”
The links below as well as the sidebar provide additional tools for use.
Start your career in the resources industry today!
What’s in it for me?
- A well paid job, with great career progression opportunities
- Employment options for all types of skills and interests
- Residential positions in some fantastic locations around the world
- Fly-in/Fly-out positions that give you heaps of time off which means lots of opportunities for travel, further study or just hanging out
- Real job satisfaction in the most exciting and profitable industry in Australia right now
How do I get there?
- Ask your teacher about “Get into Resources”
- Come along to the “Get into Resources” day at NMTafe with your school
- Experience “hands on” activities based on real work in the Resources Industry
- Talk to Resources Industry professionals, techs and trades about exactly what they do and the opportunities available
- Find out about what you have to do to get the career or trade you want in resources – including the subjects you need for next year
Students said about the event, that it..
“Showed me more choices and opportunities in the resources industry.”
“has helped me consider the benefits of a trade.”
“has made me see that people genuinely enjoy their jobs.”
“changed my perceptions because it’s across-gender and worker friendly.”
The links below provide an interactive approach to gauge the career that might be right for you.
Start their Career in the Resources Industry today!
What’s in it for the students?
- As we all know, the Resources Industry provides a variety of great workplaces for professionals, technicians and trades
- Often students are unaware of the variety of positions available and the pre-qualifications they need to get in
- Get Into Resources showcases the Resources Industry and is delivered by experienced personnel who currently work in the industry
- Designed to be specifically “hands-on” for the students to give them a real feel for the jobs available, including a visit to “The Cut” underground training mine at NorthMetropolitan TAFE
What’s in it for you?
- Full day of activities with plenty of time for you to share your work stories with the students
- Great opportunity to meet other like-minded volunteers and increase your professional network
Get Into Resources has been a wonderful success with hundreds of students participating over the three days. Teachers loved the variety of the presentations, the amount of information available about different sectors and the opportunity choices that were discussed, and considered the day “very worthwhile”.
The great strength of Get Into Resources has been the involvement of professionals in their field providing insight on their experiences and what they do as a job. If you see yourself as someone that is keen to inspire the next generation please look at the attached flyer.
How can I participate?
If you think you can deliver an exciting and repeatable, primarily “hands- on” focused activity over about 20 minutes, for a group of 10 students each time, then we would love to hear from you! Some of the activities we can share with you include: engineering the tallest flare tour, environmental mapping (seagrass), human resources taboo, and oil and gas formation (with a yummy test!).
Feedback from the students says it all:
“It was an awesome and life changing experience”
“Some jobs I hadn’t heard of until today”
“I have a few jobs in mind already!”
“It has opened my eyes to so many new things”
On The Day
The day at Get Into Resources starts in the same way each day at around 8am when the presenters and volunteers arrive at the North Metropolitan TAFE venue to set up their activity or have their briefing on the daily program. By about 8.45am, school groups have started arriving in readiness for their exciting day.
On arrival, each student receives a Welcome pack which includes a Get Into Resources lanyard and USB. The USB contains useful information about the resources industry that can be referenced at any time after the event. A student “show bag” contains information from a number of our Sponsors and can be added to throughout the day from the activities or from the Expo area.
Attached to each student’s lanyard is a plastic sleeve which contains that students program for the day, the Quiz Entry and the Feedback Form. The program outlines the activities the student will progress through during the day and includes the room number the activity is being held in.
Entry into the Get Into Resources Quiz is via the Quiz Entry Form. The Quiz prize does vary from year-to-year and last year it was a full day trip to Sandfire Resources NL’s DeGrussa Copper Mine.
The Quiz is a series of questions on interesting aspect of the resources industry. Students must answer these to qualify for entry. In addition to the Quiz questions, students must actively engage with organisations exhibiting in the Expo area in their Expo session and get the stamps to support doing so. And finally, entry to the Quiz also requires the Feedback Form to be completed. This feedback lets the Get Into Resources Committee know what we are doing right and what could do with improvement. This helps us ensure that Get into Resources just gets better year after year!
At 9.00am a Get Into Resources Committee member opens the day’s proceedings in the Level 2 Auditorium, with a Welcome and safety briefing. This is closely followed by the day’s Guest Speaker – an inspiring, resources industry leader, who will share their experiences about life in the resources industry with the group.
By 9.30am groups are ready to move out of the Auditorium and off to their first activity. Groups are guided to the correct location by one of our wonderful volunteers, who spend the whole day with the same group, ensuring everyone navigates their program in a timely manner and doesn’t miss out on any of their activities!
After the first two activities, a break for morning tea is taken at about 10.40am through to 11am, which is followed by three more activities before lunch. Lunch is provided at 12.30pm, with activity sessions recommencing at 1pm.
The final three sessions round out the day for students and teachers at around 2.30pm, when we say farewell to them all as they head off.
Presenters and volunteers then pack up their rooms as/if required before getting together for a networking afternoon tea. The day usually concludes at around 4pm.